PDA

View Full Version : Weekend road trip

Moonshine
10-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Decidied I needed to get out of town for a few days, so a friend and I made a west Texas road trip over a long weekend. Did the Marfa, Ft. Davis, Balmorhea, Alpine loop with a side trip to Crane County to locate some family land. Lots of wide open spaces.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Ft_Davis_083.jpg

First real road trip in the SuperDuty. Did a bit over 1500 miles in three days, best MPG of 17.3, and a worst of 15.0, but we had pretty strong crosswinds pretty much anytime we weren't in the mountains. But the truck ran fine, and thanks to the TFI tank and a little price shopping I made the entire trip on $200 of fuel. :tu:

SVTJoseCuervo
10-03-2006, 08:34 PM
80 speed limit..that should be everywhere ;)

Moonshine
10-03-2006, 09:08 PM
It was nice. I fugured DPS would enforce it heavily, but really saw very few troopers, and none in the real boondock areas. Did start seeing Border Patrol in Odessa, and more of them further south and west even though I never got closer than 60 miles from the border.

BC Lightning
10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Love the Davis Mountains, my Uncle is the head park ranger for Fort Davis

my2002lightning
10-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Good to hear, Brian. That is one part of TX I would like to travel in the L. :)

I'm done with that I-45 Houston/Dallas grind. The parents just got back from a road-trip to S. Central CO. and just driving around the mts.

I'm going to have to make it a point to drive the L up to Independence Pass and get a pic of the L - highest elev. maintained highway in the lower-48. :) I've been there once and it was unforgetable!

My uncle retired from the USFS - District Ranger for the North Kaibab - Grand Canyon, AZ. Some of the biggest Pope and Young elk to be had on the north range.knana

See any S. Texas whitetail on the trip?

Ronald

Decidied I needed to get out of town for a few days, so a friend and I made a west Texas road trip over a long weekend. Did the Marfa, Ft. Davis, Balmorhea, Alpine loop with a side trip to Crane County to locate some family land. Lots of wide open spaces.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Ft_Davis_083.jpg

First real road trip in the SuperDuty. Did a bit over 1500 miles in three days, best MPG of 17.3, and a worst of 15.0, but we had pretty strong crosswinds pretty much anytime we weren't in the mountains. But the truck ran fine, and thanks to the TFI tank and a little price shopping I made the entire trip on $200 of fuel. :tu:

Sixpipes
10-04-2006, 06:43 AM
I like that part of Texas (at least for a get-a-way trip). I took a motorcycle excursion down there a few years back and have also hunted javelina in the Black Gap WMA. All the vegetation in that area is nasty (sharp or pointed leaves that will tear your clothes or stick you and make you bleed or poke through your socks or jump in your underwear or ... you get the idea). :D

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/sunrise.JPG

Sunrise in Fort Davis, TX circa 2001.

Moonshine
10-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Saw some deer, but all does.

Also drove lots of roads that'd be a ball on a motorcycle. :tu: Heck, they were even fun in a SD.

99WhiteBeast
10-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Saw some deer, but all does.

Also drove lots of roads that'd be a ball on a motorcycle. :tu: Heck, they were even fun in a SD.

I camped in Big Bend a few years back:ron: and even took the L back country on some dirt and dang near 4x4 roads:eek:.

Highway 170 from Lajitas to Presido was an absolute blast in the L:tu: When then headed up to Marfa and then camped a few more nights in the Davis Mountains

dboat
10-04-2006, 09:08 PM
If some of those are pictures of Gods country, then I dont know what Gods country is.. :tu:

Dana

my2002lightning
10-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Beautiful scenery, Steve. :)

I camped in Big Bend a few years back:ron: and even took the L back country on some dirt and dang near 4x4 roads:eek:.

Highway 170 from Lajitas to Presido was an absolute blast in the L:tu: When then headed up to Marfa and then camped a few more nights in the Davis Mountains