PDA

View Full Version : Lowering question

Red2002
04-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Hi all! I've really got to lower this truck before the 20" wheels get here. I wanted to avoid the shackles if at all possible and do a 'kit' if one is made.

What are some of the setups out there? I wanted to maintain a factory rake so is a 2"/3" kit available?

Thanks in advance? :D :tu:

Sixpipes
04-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Mark #2. and I both have the Roush kit (3/3.5). I think there is a SoCal kit that is a similar drop. Hotchkis is only about an inch drop. You might check out Rich's ride since it is Red.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/albumview.cfm?num=290

L8 APEX
04-16-2002, 10:20 PM
It depends what you want to $pend. Most drop kits are front springs/ rear shackle drops. The performance kits include rear leafs but cost more and ride stiffer. I have a good idea for your truck and it even comes with shocks at a very reasonable price;)

Mark #2
04-17-2002, 03:17 PM
It really depends on how much you want to spend. Doesn't it always.

I have had these set-ups in my truck. They are in order of financial commitment and my preference.

1) Rear Shackles
2) Hotchkis front and rear springs, with 2000 shocks.
3) Hotchkis front and rear springs, with 2001 shocks.
4) Roush front and rear springs, with Roush's shocks.

I also have the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars with drop links in my truck. They are excellent pieces and I recommend with any spring kit.

For the money the Hotchkis is a good kit and it maintains the load and towing capacities.

L8 APEX
04-17-2002, 08:19 PM
According to Hotchkis the rear leaf swap cuts the load capacity in half. That is the result of most any spring change. Stock is 800lbs. Roush and Hotchkis are around 400. It sure hits the bump stops with any load though. If you trim the stops more than .5 an inch you will need shorter shocks, the stockers will bottom out.

Crawford
04-17-2002, 11:40 PM
I have the Hotchkis leafs and the clearance between the axle and the stops was probably 1.25 inches. I sawed an extra half inch off the bump stops and it seems to be working great on the stock Bilsteins.