PDA

View Full Version : idlers bolts

PoorSvtman
05-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Anyone have a factory bolt that holds the idler pulley on.. Ive seemed to have lost 2 of them some how...

Tex Arcana
05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Anyone have a factory bolt that holds the idler pulley on.. Ive seemed to have lost 2 of them some how...
:rll: you weener, go to the hardware store and buy a couple of bolts!! :tongue:

PoorSvtman
05-31-2006, 03:59 PM
go look at our idler bolts num nut... the washer is designed so when you tightent the bolt the washer wont crush the bearing.. thats why i want some stock ones... Reasearch before you reply.. have a nice day:D

bobbywade69
05-31-2006, 08:42 PM
If you have just one I can make you a couple if you need!!! But I need one to go by!:tu:

go look at our idler bolts num nut... the washer is designed so when you tightent the bolt the washer wont crush the bearing.. thats why i want some stock ones... Reasearch before you reply.. have a nice day:D

Tex Arcana
05-31-2006, 10:58 PM

So the washer is special--big deal!! Geez, do you have NO shadetree mechanic skills at all?? Damn, I could've FIXED yer cover if you hadn't screwed it up with JB Weld, in the first place... :d

COME ON!! Think outside the box!! :tongue:

PoorSvtman
06-01-2006, 01:58 AM
So the washer is special--big deal!! Geez, do you have NO shadetree mechanic skills at all?? Damn, I could've FIXED yer cover if you hadn't screwed it up with JB Weld, in the first place... :d

even if you could have welded it back up id have to grind it down so the idler would fit on... I didnt want to take the chance of getting it all on and it braking and having to take all the crap off the front of the motor again..

Tex Arcana
06-01-2006, 10:42 PM
even if you could have welded it back up id have to grind it down so the idler would fit on... I didnt want to take the chance of getting it all on and it braking and having to take all the crap off the front of the motor again..

:D No welding involved (I can't weld aluminum, anyway), just a drill, a tap, some JB Weld; and voila! the cover is fixed. :tu: Doens't matter ANYWAY, you got a better cover out of the deal. I can't help it you'd lose your head if it weren't fastened on. :evil

PoorSvtman
06-02-2006, 06:26 AM
:D No welding involved (I can't weld aluminum, anyway), just a drill, a tap, some JB Weld; and voila! the cover is fixed. :tu: Doens't matter ANYWAY, you got a better cover out of the deal. I can't help it you'd lose your head if it weren't fastened on. :evil

half the stud that the idler sits on was snaped off.. wasnt going to half arse tap a hole...

Tex Arcana
06-02-2006, 04:56 PM
half the stud that the idler sits on was snaped off.. wasnt going to half arse tap a hole...

And you tried to JBWeld it in the first place!! If it hadn't've gotten JBW in the threads in the hole, you would've tried to use it! You goofball!

My method would've put the bolt thru the cover, pulled the stud back into place, locked it down with both JBW and the bolt in the hole, and it would've worked fine. :tu:

PoorSvtman
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
And you tried to JBWeld it in the first place!! If it hadn't've gotten JBW in the threads in the hole, you would've tried to use it! You goofball!

My method would've put the bolt thru the cover, pulled the stud back into place, locked it down with both JBW and the bolt in the hole, and it would've worked fine. :tu:

Yea i jb welded it.. i knew it was going to hold but i did it for sh!ts and giggles...

Hey im the master of jb weld... but i have my limits to using it and ive used it on alot of crap.... I wasnt going to jbweld the bolt in there(your method :rolleyes: ).. Then if the idler bearings decided to take a crap for some reason one day id have to buy a new cover.. and remove EVERYTHING from the front just to replace it.. Wasnt going to happen..

Anyway i found the idler bolt.. it was in a box of stock parts... and not in the bolt box..

PoorSvtman
06-02-2006, 06:02 PM

Think outside the box... i do that.. but there is a point to where it either becomes to expensive, to much of a hassle, WAY over thought, or just not good...

Tex Arcana
06-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Yea i jb welded it.. i knew it was going to hold but i did it for sh!ts and giggles...

Hey im the master of jb weld... but i have my limits to using it and ive used it on alot of crap.... I wasnt going to jbweld the bolt in there(your method :rolleyes: ).. Then if the idler bearings decided to take a crap for some reason one day id have to buy a new cover.. and remove EVERYTHING from the front just to replace it.. Wasnt going to happen..

Anyway i found the idler bolt.. it was in a box of stock parts... and not in the bolt box..

Actually, my method was to run a bolt completely THROUGH the cover, and secure it on the inside with a thin jam nut, *just* enough to tension the thing to pull the crack together and help the JBW to set and lock it up.

If you run the bolt thru the stud and into the cover, it's in thread almost all the way to the bottom of the hole; drill the bottom of the hole thru, then run a tap in to continue the threads thru the bottom of the hole, then run a longer bolt thru (with the idler on it to make sure it's cut short enough to miss the innards), cut it down, jamnut it, then pull it apart to put in the JBW and reassemble it, and after the jamnut is on and tight, and the JBW sets, the stud won't ever move again. :tu: THAT Is what I meant.

Mark #2
06-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Think outside the box... i do that.. but there is a point to where it either becomes to expensive, to much of a hassle, WAY over thought, or just not good...

Or someone just gives you a polished front cover.

PoorSvtman
06-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Or someone just gives you a polished front cover.

Exactly! Thanks again... I still got to get you one to replace it..:tu: Hopefully ill be driving my truck to next months meeting:banana:

PoorSvtman
06-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Actually, my method was to run a bolt completely THROUGH the cover, and secure it on the inside with a thin jam nut, *just* enough to tension the thing to pull the crack together and help the JBW to set and lock it up.

If you run the bolt thru the stud and into the cover, it's in thread almost all the way to the bottom of the hole; drill the bottom of the hole thru, then run a tap in to continue the threads thru the bottom of the hole, then run a longer bolt thru (with the idler on it to make sure it's cut short enough to miss the innards), cut it down, jamnut it, then pull it apart to put in the JBW and reassemble it, and after the jamnut is on and tight, and the JBW sets, the stud won't ever move again. :tu: THAT Is what I meant.

See that is just to much work... ok jam nut it on the back.. that would work.. What happens if you need to take the idler off with this method.. Still have to pull the damn cover off.. Ok jbweld the jam nut on... what if the jb weld comes off to the heat.. Jam nut falls into oil pan...

Your methods are good but not exatcly good from a servicable point...

Mark #2
06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Exactly! Thanks again... I still got to get you one to replace it..:tu: Hopefully ill be driving my truck to next months meeting:banana:

No hurry(yet), just get your truck running.
Now go work on it, instead of talking, my excuse is that it is too hot.:D

PoorSvtman
06-03-2006, 09:17 AM
haha my excuse is the heat as well... work outside all day and last thing i want to do it get hot again lol.... I just need to get with terry and order some stuff....

Tex Arcana
06-03-2006, 12:08 PM
See that is just to much work... ok jam nut it on the back.. that would work.. What happens if you need to take the idler off with this method.. Still have to pull the damn cover off.. Ok jbweld the jam nut on... what if the jb weld comes off to the heat.. Jam nut falls into oil pan...

Your methods are good but not exatcly good from a servicable point...

Good point... solution: reverse the bolt. Once the hole's retapped and ready to go, put the JBW on the broken part of the stud and assemble it, then thread the bolt in from the backside all the way thru, and lock it down so the stud will stay in place; then JBW the outer sides of the stud and let it set. Then slide pulley on, and secure with a nut and washer from the frontside. :tongue:

PoorSvtman
06-03-2006, 01:59 PM
another thing.. if you put jb weld on the outer side of the broken part youd basicly have to sand all the jbweld off for the pulley to slide back on...

so again your fix is a way but a way over thought and not a servicable way