PDA

View Full Version : Considering selling the L

WA 2 FST
05-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I know... I'll probably regret it at some point. ;) Just been driving one for 7 years now. There's nothing wrong with it, and I may price myself out of the market anyway.

Details:

'04 DSG ~18,500 miles
purchased new 4/04
Meticulously maintained (all service records kept in detail)
Interior and exterior in excellent condition
Nitto tires w/ less than 2k miles

Mods:
HRE 645 wheels (stock sizes)
Roush suspension (rear leafs, front coil springs, F/R shocks)
4x4 trans pan
Alpine CD player/tuner, 2 subs behind seats, Morel speakers in stock locations, 1 Infinity 75w amp, 1 Kicker 200w amp
BedRug bedliner
Extang Black-Max tonneau cover
4# lower pulley
Razor's Edge CAI
Razor's Edge oil seperator
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
LFP heat exchanger with auxilary pusher fan (per Terry Cole)
SCT 9100 flash programmer
FTVB
Autometer Lunar boost gauge in steering column pod

394rwhp/481rwtq... one trip to the track... 12.8 @ 109mph

Title in hand.

$28.5k w/ HRE wheels
$26k w/ perfect condition stock '04 wheels

e-mail at wa_2_fst@comcast.net

True Blue Aggie
05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Any plans for the next vehicle? Leaning anywhere....?

Tex Arcana
05-17-2006, 09:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :crying:

Yeah, you will regret it.

You know you want to keep it.

You know it's your favorite.

So edit that post, and say NO!! ;)

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Any plans for the next vehicle? Leaning anywhere....?

Haven't decided on anything, although if I found something that caught my eye I could pull the trigger before selling the L.

I've got:
-family hauler (family of 4)
-work truck (S-10, gets 23mpg, and I don't mind putting junk in it)
-2 seat sports car

Whatever I would get would need to be able to fit 4 (2 adults, 2 pre-teens) occasionally. Here are some vehicles I've considered. There are certainly pros/cons to each.

'04 Cobra convertible (would be modded immediately... KB, etc)
'06 GTO (supercharged)
'05-06 CTS-V (supercharged)... more than I want to spend
'03-04 BMW M3 (like the car, but have heard way too many horror stories)

I don't need another SUV, and I don't need a truck.

Lyfisin
05-18-2006, 08:01 AM
I can't help but remember a post I saw on F-150 where a guy said he would never sell his L. The reason is he could always use a truck and it might as well be a fast one. Best of luck to you with whatever works out.

L8 APEX
05-18-2006, 08:44 AM
No on the CTS V and no on the vert Cobra. The CTS is too heavy and has horrid axle hop on acceleration. THe convertible Cobras have so much chasis flex you wonder if the doors are going to pop open over railroad tracks. THe A pillars are constantly moving while you are driving. The Z06 fills the sports car niche I would get a truck or SUV for the other piece of the puzzle. The price is fair for the mods.

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I can't help but remember a post I saw on F-150 where a guy said he would never sell his L. The reason is he could always use a truck and it might as well be a fast one. Best of luck to you with whatever works out.

That might have been me saying that. ;)

Tex Arcana
05-18-2006, 08:51 AM

It was probably me. ANd if it wasn't me, it mirrors my feelings on the matter. I made that mistake once, when I sold my '68 Mustang 'vert, and I'll never do that again. Not to mention that I'll definitely have the space to store the L, even if I end up with a different daily driver, in about 3 months. :tu:

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 08:53 AM
No on the CTS V and no on the vert Cobra. The CTS is too heavy and has horrid axle hop on acceleration. THe convertible Cobras have so much chasis flex you wonder if the doors are going to pop open over railroad tracks. THe A pillars are constantly moving while you are driving. The Z06 fills the sports car niche I would get a truck or SUV for the other piece of the puzzle. The price is fair for the mods.

No reason to get a truck or an SUV. I have both now (see above). I know the CTS V has significant rear end diff issues. I _figured_ as much on the body flex of the Cobra...as the chassis design is really no different dating back to '79. More power (by mods) would only exacerbate the problem. Obviously I would intend to get some good frame connectors for the Cobra, but that might not be good enough.

I like the powertrain of the GTO, but the styling just hasn't grown on me... of course, neither has that of the new Mustang.

L8 APEX
05-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah, nothing you mentioined would get more props than the L. 12 sec trucks is where its at. I wouldn't throw money into a market full of lame cars.

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Yeah, nothing you mentioined would get more props than the L. 12 sec trucks is where its at. I wouldn't throw money into a market full of lame cars.

Terry, I certainly respect your opinion, so I appreciate it.

Trust me, I have thought the _exact same thing_ at times. If there's nothing that excites me, I'm not spending a dime. I can certainly get excited about several 2-seaters out there... but I've been there, done that w/ two of those at once and it's not practical at all (some would say never) this point in my life.

L8 APEX
05-18-2006, 09:22 AM
I would consider the Lancer Evo MR or 9. 4 doors and a rockin drivetrtain. $32K market is right in line and it is a whole new ballfied of performance.

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 09:54 AM
I would consider the Lancer Evo MR or 9. 4 doors and a rockin drivetrtain. $32K market is right in line and it is a whole new ballfied of performance.

I don't know a thing about those. I guess at one time the EVO or Subi STi crossed my mind... but I'm an American V8 musclecar type of guy.

I can't see myself in something like a 300C SRT-8, either. That's awfully "dressed up" for someone like me. ;)

dboat
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
What about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8? I would second the Subi idea. Someone posted up a limited edition that is out that has a much more subdued rear spoiler..it looked really nice.. would hate to lose you as an L owner though.
Dana

StormShadow
05-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I would either get a cobra (hardtop) or wait and see if Dodge comes out with the 392 Challenger (Automobile magazine suggested that the 510 horsepower 6.4 liter 392 Hemi might be used.) http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Dana,

If I'm going to buy an SUV, then I'm going to replace the family hauler (Expedition). The biggest reason I've been considering this is b/c I just don't need 2 trucks.

As far as the Subi or EVO... the thing has to be faster than my L. ;) These cars would have to be highly modified (probably beyond being reliable) to suit me.

Adam,

I'm not interested in a Cobra coupe. I like convertibles, but I also understand the intrinsic structural issues that go along with them. The Challenger will/would be a cool car.

More than likely I'll just hang on to what I've got. But I've considered selling it... to the point where I have been able to put down a price.

Beaudee
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
2007 Shelby Cobra,Im thinkin about it.:tu:

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 05:07 PM
2007 Shelby Cobra,Im thinkin about it.:tu:

Beau,

That will be a cool car, but I'm not going to pay $55-70k for one... and that's what a lot of them will cost the first (and possibly only) year they produce them. :(

Beaudee
05-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Title in hand!That means you could swing it.Im probally just dreamin.:rolleyes: http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/CarPicDisplay.php?carnumber=753&pictureID=23&picindex=1

WA 2 FST
05-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Title in hand!That means you could swing it.Im probally just dreamin.:rolleyes: http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/CarPicDisplay.php?carnumber=753&pictureID=23&picindex=1

I just need to build a warehouse to put extra vehicles in. ;)

If they would sell one for sticker (mid-40s) then I would buy one.

Beaudee
05-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Mid 40's would be nice.I bet someone here will show up with one.:tu:

Lyfisin
05-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I just need to build a warehouse to put extra vehicles in.

+1

I'm up to four now and only two drivers. :mad:

Tex Arcana
05-18-2006, 05:43 PM
No reason to get a truck or an SUV. I have both now (see above). I know the CTS V has significant rear end diff issues. I _figured_ as much on the body flex of the Cobra...as the chassis design is really no different dating back to '79. More power (by mods) would only exacerbate the problem. Obviously I would intend to get some good frame connectors for the Cobra, but that might not be good enough.

I like the powertrain of the GTO, but the styling just hasn't grown on me... of course, neither has that of the new Mustang.

X-braces FTW, if you get that.

Tex Arcana
05-18-2006, 06:00 PM

If they would sell one for sticker (mid-40s) then I would buy one.

I'll loan you space in mine:

http://justonemorechapter.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/piczMRaerial2003cr.jpg

:d

Tex Arcana
05-18-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm not interested in a Cobra coupe. I like convertibles, but I also understand the intrinsic structural issues that go along with them. The Challenger will/would be a cool car.

Have you driven one of the new Mustangs yet? I can tell you that they are a completely different beast than those of the past; and if the results of the coupe are any indication (i.e., Ford's not lying about it being nothing more than a regurgitated SN95), then the claimed stiffness of the 'vert can be believed as well.

The 3V-4.6 is strong, fast, and has alot of potential waiting to be let loose with bolt-ons or more. And the rear seats aren't too bad, especially for kids the ages of yours. Bang for the buck, only the L beats it; and, imho, the only thing horrible on the car is the steering wheel. :rolleyes:

If you decide for sure to ditch the L, go test drive a GT before you make a decision on what you want; and ifyou need a hookup on where to get that test drive, let me know, I be yo' huckleberry! :tu:

dboat
05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Seems like it took me forever to find it on Talon but I did..

http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/sti/index.html

looks good and has 293 hp.. comes with Brembo's and doesnt have that
big ole huge wing in back.. nice.

Dana

BC Lightning
05-18-2006, 10:58 PM

Yo Wes, just bring the Vette over to my new garage, just got it taped and bed, and getting painted tomorrow, and grey and black checker flooring on it, The LPE TT Z06 would fit in great there :D

my2002lightning
05-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Don't sell the L, Wes.:nono: Be true to your L roots.:tu:

Ronald

dboat
05-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Yo Wes, just bring the Vette over to my new garage, just got it taped and bed, and getting painted tomorrow, and grey and black checker flooring on it, The LPE TT Z06 would fit in great there :D

Not to go :0fftopic but what kind of floor are you putting in?

WA 2 FST
05-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Don't sell the L, Wes.:nono: Be true to your L roots.:tu:

Ronald

Ok, that does it. I'll keep it. Now someone order me up a KB/Whipple, some long tubes, injectors, fuel pumps and a cool aftermarket hood.:rll: When in doubt, just make it faster, right?!

Brook... yeah, I'm in the same boat... 4 vehicles, 2 drivers. Before I know it (3.5+ years) I'll have a 3rd driver and have another vehicle here somewhere/somehow (may have to reconvert my unattached garage back to a parking area).

my2002lightning
05-19-2006, 05:13 PM
That was easy enough.:D

Ok, that does it. I'll keep it.

rickgig
05-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Good gosh Wes... I am off the net for a couple of days and this is what I read when I get back on???

I think you need some good ole brotherly counciling... (JK)

Hey... I'd love to find someone for your L since I know it's not been beat on.

I have a decent ministry you can donate it too and I'll give you one heck of a write off!!!

I can understand the kid thing... that is the cool thing about being grand parents.

I may still know someone interested in it if you really need to let it go. OBTW... other than the Z06... you bleed blue.