PDA

View Full Version : Home A/C Question

Beaudee
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I went to the atic to put some bleach in the condisation lines on my A/C.I opened the panel where the coil is and saw black mold all over the duct box connected to the coil box.Is this legal,isnt black mold dangerous,shouldnt the duct box be metal on the inside and insulated on the outside being that close to the coil.:flaming:The A/C is only 2 years old and the drip pan never overflowed.

dboat
05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I went to the atic to put some bleach in the condisation lines on my A/C.I opened the panel where the coil is and saw black mold all over the duct box connected to the coil box.Is this legal,isnt black mold dangerous,shouldnt the duct box be metal on the inside and insulated on the outside being that close to the coil.:flaming:The A/C is only 2 years old and the drip pan never overflowed.

I would drop a line or PM or call Rocks on this one. He is the resident expert on things HVAC.. unless you want a theoretical answer, then I am your man.. :evil

Dana

L8 APEX
05-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Can't tell from the pics but it is common practice to line duct on the inside with black glass matt.

Beaudee
05-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Can't tell from the pics but it is common practice to line duct on the inside with black glass matt.
My other unit has a metal box duct,(Bryant) with the black glass matt which can be removed and replaced.The Carrier unit duct is made from the insulation board,and it is all yellow.I misted the bottom of the duct with bleach and water and the black mildew/mold or whatever it is immediately started to dissapear.Being in the atic/condinsation i will keep an eye on it.I guess just mist the duct with bleach when i do the lines.The mold was mostly on the bottom of the duct.

L8 APEX
05-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Fiberboard is junk. I would get it replaced with metal plenums and transitions.

gbgary
05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
it's common mildew, don't worry about it. get a uv light and it'll cure it and other things. http://www.fieldcontrols.com/uvaire.php

btw...don't pour bleach in your drain pan if it's metal. plastic is ok though but you'll have that smell through your house. pour it down the drain tee/breather near the coil.

L8 APEX
05-11-2006, 12:42 AM
I would use pan tabs or pan slabs instead of the bleach. Time release treatment is a lot better in the long run.