PDA

View Full Version : Truck got broken into at a Dealership...

xyoung347x
02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
My Lightning was in a Ford dealership for some service and when I went to check up on it, my indash dvd player was jacked out of my truck. Nothing was broken into but they say that the back sliding window was crack open. What are my options here? It was in for like a month, because my L had spit out a #8 spark plug fyi. What are my choices and options on how to deal with my insurance, the dealership, Cartoys, and etc...???

Avalanche
02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
All I can say is good luck. My duaghters Mustang was stolen off the dealership lot and I had to go through my insurance to have their insurance to own up to it and I still had to pay the remaining balance of what was owed on the vechile since they only paid what "their papers " said it was worth. On a good note that dealership will never get any business from me or anyone that knows me personally.

98Cobra
02-22-2006, 01:41 PM
I would speak to the general manager, and see if you can get it replaced without having to get lawyered up. But sad to say you probably will have to. :(

DamonH
02-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I would speak to the general manager, and see if you can get it replaced without having to get lawyered up. But sad to say you probably will have to. :(

Seconded. You'll probably have to get tough with them and make them realize you aren't going to just drop it for them to do anything. My brother-in-law got his stuff stolen from his mustang at Village Ford in Lewisville. Obvioiusly it was an inside job as it was locked, and no windows were broken when he went to retrieve some personal belongings. After much yelling they finally agreed to cut him a check for the value of the things he had.

tiffo60
02-22-2006, 02:10 PM
definatley dont take it lying down, rase as much cane as you can to get what you are owed, besides most dealers have cameras now days dont they?

Moonshine
02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
I hate to be a dark cloud, but when you sign on the service sheet when you take a vehicle to the dealership I believe the fine print says you agree not to hold them responsible for any loss or damage that may occur while your vehicle is in their possession.

98Cobra
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
I hate to be a dark cloud, but when you sign on the service sheet when you take a vehicle to the dealership I believe the fine print says you agree not to hold them responsible for any loss or damage that may occur while your vehicle is in their possession.

I am pretty sure that is not solid legal ground.

One good thing you have going for you is the Internet. Post up about which dealership, when, and where this happened, and what the dealership does about it. If they fcuk you, everyone will know. Google NEVER forgets.

Tex Arcana
02-22-2006, 06:24 PM

I do'nt think that's enforceable... they have insurace to cover vehicular loss and damage, so that's the route to go, initially. Beyond that, it's a crapshoort, and might end up requiring a lawyer.

jmlay
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Seconded. You'll probably have to get tough with them and make them realize you aren't going to just drop it for them to do anything. My brother-in-law got his stuff stolen from his mustang at Village Ford in Lewisville. Obvioiusly it was an inside job as it was locked, and no windows were broken when he went to retrieve some personal belongings. After much yelling they finally agreed to cut him a check for the value of the things he had.

I had the same thing happen @ Bankston! Turned the wife loose on them, guess who win!

Mike

xyoung347x
02-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Mine sounds like an inside job too, because the tech that worked on it didn't say nothing about it, and no glasses were opened or anything. I know the tech knew I have a dvd player because he took it in his rack to diagnose it that very day and a couple of weeks later I gave him authorizations to fix the problem. He did'nt mention nothing about it, the service writer was checking up on it to get it cleaned and noticed it. Well they say that to give them a receipt of the dvd player/install purchase they will credit it to the total balance of the bill. My truck got broken in twice now and I seriously dont want another theif on my truck so I just might take that offer. They SEEM like they trying to make it right so I'm gonna leave the dealership name out of it, for now.

LivinEZ
02-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Seems to happen a lot here in Texas. You never heard of this sort of thing in Mississippi. I had a Ranger at Grand Prairie Ford and had my 2500.00 wheels stolen off of it. Had to be someone on the inside. All they paid for was the 500.00 deductible on my insurance. The good thing is that my insurance (Allstate) did not jack my rate because of it :tu: .

One of the guys at the dealership told me when the Harley truck first came out, they had ALL 16 wheels stolen from the 4 trucks they had on the lot.

You would think that dealerships this big would have better security.

98Cobra
02-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Grand Prarie Ford is a bunch of idiots. I tried to go test drive a new GT with my girlfriend, we went in my Lightning, but unless we were ready to sign some papers they wouldnt let us drive it, like they are limited edition or some crap.

Bonus idiocy: They have a TV show come on Sunday mornings I think on like channel 27 locally, where they talk about all the ridiculously fantatsic deals they are offering on used cars. Its a riot because half the time I know the year make and model by looking at it faster than they do. Check it out sometime. :rll:

xyoung347x
02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
[quote=98Cobra]Grand Prarie Ford is a bunch of idiots. I tried to go test drive a new GT with my girlfriend, we went in my Lightning, but unless we were ready to sign some papers they wouldnt let us drive it, like they are limited edition or some crap.

Bonus idiocy: They have a TV show come on Sunday mornings I think on like channel 27 locally, where they talk about all the ridiculously fantatsic deals they are offering on used cars. Its a riot because half the time I know the year make and model by looking at it faster than they do. Check it out sometime. :rll:

[quote=livinEZ]Seems to happen a lot here in Texas. You never heard of this sort of thing in Mississippi. I had a Ranger at Grand Prairie Ford and had my 2500.00 wheels stolen off of it. Had to be someone on the inside. All they paid for was the 500.00 deductible on my insurance. The good thing is that my insurance (Allstate) did not jack my rate because of it http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif .

One of the guys at the dealership told me when the Harley truck first came out, they had ALL 16 wheels stolen from the 4 trucks they had on the lot.

You would think that dealerships this big would have better security.

You guys should guess where my Lightning got broken into at.. ^^^^^
:twitch:

microsuck
02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Actually, we get ALOT of clients come into our office for very similar complaints. It happens at all dealerships. Usually we just write a demand letter for $300, and the people pay up about 65-70% of the time. Here is my suggestion if you want it.

1. Call the Dallas BAR assoc. (214) 220-7444 . The ladies that run it are really nice.
2. Tell then that your story and that you want a lawyer who will write a demand letter for you.
3. They match you to an attorney and you get a free 30 min consultation. (you still have to pay a $20 referal charge). But 30 mins would normally cost you $125, so its a good deal.
4. Call the attorney and tell them you "I was reffered by the Dallas BAR and would like to set up my consultation". Say nothing more, they dont want to hear your story over the phone, trust me.
5. Show up to your appointment and tell the attorney your story, and get their advice. You have 30 mins for free. At the end, tell them that you really dont want a full-out lawsuit, cause thats too expensive. Say you just want a flat rate demand letter. Give them names and addresses and and they write a really "persuasive" letter saying "pay or we sue. Like I said, on dealerships, we usually get a settlement 65-70% of the time. Especially for small claims. Good luck.
Andrew