PDA

View Full Version : Plug Changing Party??

tliss
10-20-2002, 09:38 PM
I finally got my IT20s, now I'm thinking a plug change party is in order. I've got some tools that I plan on working with, including a 2.5" spark plug socket attached via a swivel link to a 12" extension. We'll see if it works. If not, I hope someone has the cool 8" socket from SnapOn that we can borrow.

I will grab some beer and we'll make a day of it. I'm thinking next Saturday in the early afternoon at my house. Anyone interested?

Tom

Red2002
10-20-2002, 09:50 PM
I'm there Tom.

Silver_2000
10-20-2002, 10:23 PM
I have the socket if you want to use it

Doughttp://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/sparkplugs/plugtools.jpg

L8 APEX
10-20-2002, 11:16 PM
You guys are not helping the local tuner mail ordering your parts from other vendors and having these install parties:hammer: I am making a list of the organizers of these events:D

Red2002
10-20-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
You guys are not helping the local tuner mail ordering your parts from other vendors and having these install parties:hammer: I am making a list of the organizers of these events:D

My local tuner is usually found napping in his work van so he is unable to conduct installs convenient to my unemployed, twelve-credit hours schedule. :) :) j/k

Besides when Tom has volunteered to do everyone's plugs for free AND provide the beer and tools, who could pass up this opportunity?

L8 APEX
10-20-2002, 11:53 PM
I don't think Tom volunteered to change everyone's plugs only to provide the facilities. So make sure to stretch out before you crawl under that hood for a few hours:D

Red2002
10-21-2002, 12:23 AM
I don't think Tom volunteered to change everyone's plugs only to provide the facilities. So make sure to stretch out before you crawl under that hood for a few hours:D

Tom's not doing all the plug installs?! Well then at what point does the 'party' play into the equation? lol

Someone else doing my plugs is a party in my book. :D :D

Btw, great descriptive pic Doug! How big is that tool? Craftsman is more my budget, do they make a similar one?

L8 APEX
10-21-2002, 01:04 AM
I think I looked for a Craftsman unit. I bought a Matco for 50 bucks!

Red2002
10-21-2002, 01:16 AM
I think I looked for a Craftsman unit. I bought a Matco for 50 bucks!

$50 sounds rather expensive. Is that cheap for a Matco or reasonable?

It's like that torque wrench I bought for $68 bucks and I've used it all of once in two years. Trying to cut corners here.....:)

99WhiteBeast
10-21-2002, 07:10 AM
I would be willing to help but only if there is sweet beer (http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=33002&anum=2633)

A weekday would be better with my schedule.

tliss
10-21-2002, 07:44 AM
I am changing nobody's plugs but my own!!!:hammer: Tom providing beer and facilities = party! It's up to you to bring your plugs and do the work!

Terry, I thought you would rather get run over by a Mack truck than do plugs? :confused: I think I asked once before....

Doug, let me know where I can meet up with you to borrow your socket and if we need it we'll use it. It'll be good to have multiple sets of tools as well.

Saturday is the only time I will have to do it. I will purchase some Guiness and a few other beers. Name some of the beers in that pic! I don't recognize many of those labels!

Tom

Badcarma
10-22-2002, 03:58 AM
Did my first plug change-out last night in 2.5 hours!!:banana:
The last one on the passenger side is burger, but I got it's number know!! Just have to remember to Rehook the Mass Air sensor when your done...It makes a heck of difference. :d
Where is this party going to be?? might stop by and help out...the beer that is.:D

tliss
10-22-2002, 07:24 AM
This thing will be at my house about 1 Sat. Oct. 26. If anyone needs directions post your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. Or just drop me a quick e-mail at thomas.liss@att.net. See you there.

Tom

Badcarma
10-24-2002, 02:03 AM
SWA600@aol.com

I got all the tools if some body needs the help.....Give me an E-mail on the location. I work all night Friday, and I am going to try Dyno at dyno day at SpeedTek Sat. morning if it's not raining....Scott:tu:

tliss
10-24-2002, 09:32 AM
Scott,

You've got e-mail:banana:

Tom

Wht95Lightning
10-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Dyno day at Speedtek... I may just show up there. Never been Dynoed before. :)

tliss
10-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Got a case of Guiness in the fridge chillin'! Looking to get some domestic beer for anyone that wants domestic beer....preferences from those that are coming? Whose coming, anyway?

Tom

Badcarma
10-25-2002, 10:12 PM
I am working all night tonight(Friday). As soon as I get off in the morning I will pickup the L and head over to SpeedTek in Garland for my first Dyno run with the L. $35.00 for 3 pulls...not bad. I got the directions to tliss's and will try to go there after. Have all the tools, anybody welcome use them.
:tu:

tliss
10-26-2002, 10:46 PM
Thanks Doug, Scott and Mark for coming out! Some beers were drank and plugs were changed in about 3 hours! Not bad for a first timer!!

Tom

Badcarma
10-28-2002, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the Brewsky Tom!!! I had alot of good laughs...guess that comes with being up 28 hours straight. Well have to do it again soon...What mod party should we have next????:D

Scott

Crawford
10-28-2002, 02:08 AM
Anyone get any pics?
How did those stock plugs look?
How many people changed their plugs out?
Impressions on the new plugs?
What kind of plugs did you guys install?

Badcarma
10-28-2002, 05:38 AM
I actually changed mine out a few days before so I could Dyno on Saturday. I was there to lend a hand and tools.....and too drinka-me-a-beera:D I put in NGK TR6's. I had clean plugs, two had thick white caked matter on them. I know Tom placed Denzo IT 20's in his ride, and Doug checked and snugged all his up. The :bs was fun though.

I will post my picks soon.

Scott

tliss
10-28-2002, 08:11 AM
No pics, just some :bs 'n. I was the only one that changed plugs and had some pals for support. I put in the IT20s and there is a slight difference from my perspective that's not really noticable. A couple of the old plugs had a little white cake on them, but all were still intact.

Hmmmm...what's the next mod party? My next maintenace activity will be brakes, but that will not be for a little while anyway.

Tom

Mark #2
10-28-2002, 09:44 AM
TLiss, thanks for the brews. I showed up just in time, wrenching over, BS starting.

Mark

lerandell
11-13-2002, 10:04 PM
whould this work to get at those plugs? I think i'm set!!
:cool: :banana:
http://randell.no-ip.com/DCP_0678a.JPG

Badcarma
11-14-2002, 01:07 AM
If you are talking about changing the plugs on a Lightning...and not the Broncho like your pic shows, that your going to need alot more tools than that! The back one one the passenger an Driver side have almost no room to maneuver it. Lots of extensions, that socket you have, magnet helps BUNCHES, 1/4 drives and 3/8 drives, and alot of patients/time:D

99WhiteBeast
11-14-2002, 06:31 PM
I don't think air power helps anything on this deal. Seems to me that an air rachet would be difficult if not impossible to maneuver in there.

Go with what carma (Scott) said and plenty of frosty cold beverages for the knuckles.:beer:

Red2002
11-14-2002, 09:16 PM
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1855-2588-37955.gif

lerandell
11-14-2002, 09:38 PM
I haven't had the chance to change the plugs on a Gen2 yet. When I had my 94 L, I was always changing, adjusting, replacing the plugs on it. Your right it is very tight. I have this socket below, I would put onthe socket first, snake the air rachet in there, snap it on the socket and run it out. you have to figure out some short cuts when it's your bead and butter!! They only pay you 1 flag hour for minor tune up's:tu:
http://randell.no-ip.com/DCP_0679.JPG

ken cryder
11-14-2002, 11:03 PM
with a 1/4 air ratchet swivels 1/4 to 3/8 adapter ,extentions,long spark plug socket. got the job done in about an hour .
can't tell much difference .
old plugs alittle brown from running it rich but otherwise looked great.