PDA

View Full Version : Need some input

Avalanche
01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
As most of you know I was going to sell the built motor that I got but I think I am going to keep it and this is what I have in mind.

Now keep in mind this is a year or so away but anyway I regress.....

I am thinking of doing a twin setup and ditching the blower. Any suggestions on this?

Second question and this may be stupid but here it is, What kind of compression can I run on a turbo setup? I found a sweet deal on some 10:1's and I am thinking of going with them but beofre I pull the trigger on them I want to make sure that they are not going to be paperweights.

Third question, I found a guy in Vegas that will do the complete setup for around 10K not including the motor buildup or teardown which ever it may be. Is this a good price? It is all stainless and mandrel bent tubing and a one off setup. I am not sure about the one off thing what if it breaks.

I think that is it right now but if anyone has any input on this please input.

Thanks. and sorry if I did a :ron:

keynan
01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Talk to mark at lightning force performance they will be doing turbo's real soon the kits are sweet looking. I think their kit is around 5,000 and the turbo's are T60, T67, and T76.

Avalanche
01-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks I will contact Mark at LFP. Do you know if it is a kit or their own design?

WA 2 FST
01-27-2006, 10:32 PM
If you want to make _serious_ power, then you will not want to mess with 10:1 CR on a turbo motor. Turbos can be a bit more efficient than a blower, but it all comes down to compressor efficiency really. You'll make a bit more power per psi of boost with a good turbo setup. BUT... in the end, its all about airflow volume to make power and to get that you want to decrease the base CR, so that you can up the boost.

I assume the "built motor" has forged pistons already and is set up with lower compression in mind. That's a good thing! :) Run 20-22psi and hold on.

Avalanche
01-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks Wes i am new to the turbo thing but I thought I would give it a shot.

Tex Arcana
01-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Thanks Wes i am new to the turbo thing but I thought I would give it a shot.
Hey, did you trac the turbo Lightings over on NLOC?? I think they already blazed the trail you want to walk, so maybe going thru their buildup threads would give you an idea; tho, we all know when Wes/Wa2Fast talks, we ALL should listen!:bows :bows :bows

PoorSvtman
01-28-2006, 03:20 AM
One big turbo is better than two turbos..... Normaly when two is used is to help eliminate turbo lag...

Avalanche
01-28-2006, 10:28 AM
One big turbo is better than two turbos..... Normaly when two is used is to help eliminate turbo lag...

This is why I want two turbos I do not want any turbo lag.

WA 2 FST
01-28-2006, 12:48 PM
This is why I want two turbos I do not want any turbo lag.

And just as critical is proper turbo sizing.

You guys would laugh if you knew the size of the turbos on my Vette. T28s... yep. Tiny. And they can support up to right at 675-700rwhp efficiently in a 346-380 ci LS1 engine.

Avalanche
01-28-2006, 06:23 PM
i was thinking of 2 T65's but a couple of people have told me to go with small ones like 35's or 40's. What to you think? You seem to be the turbo guru in the house.:beer:

WA 2 FST
01-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Far from a turbo guru, my friend. I'll be happy to advise on centrifugal blower apps, but I'm new to turbos as well. But my point was only that you don't necessarily have to get huge turbos to make gobs of power.

That being said, you always should size the turbos according to your airflow needs. For instance, LPE puts these same T28s on their 427ci motors. Well, the _peak_ HP maxes out about the same place as the 346ci motor does b/c at this point the turbos become the restriction. The compressor(s) can only push so much air. The big boys making 1000rwhp are running T40+ sized hairdryers.

I read in another post that you're not considering the truck being very streetable when you're done. If you're not going to drive it around, then a larger single turbo may indeed be the best way to go. You're not going to be concerned with low-speed throttle response and potential turbo lag. If this is going to primarily by a 1/4 mile track car, then a T67 or something may be the way to go. You're going to stall it up against the converter anyway, and that will spool that turbo really well and you'll build some decent boost right on the starting line. Light turns green... H-A-N-G on!! ;)

If its going to be a street driver where you're continually on and off the gas, you want quicker throttle response, and that's where the twin-turbo setups are really nice.

Avalanche
01-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Wes as you precieved this is not gong to be a streetable truck when I get done with it. I was concidering a T67 but i really wanted a T8o but they guys at Turbonetics told me to eliminate the turbo lag that i would get with that big of a mill that I should go with two T50's or smaller. I am in the old school of thought that the bigger the better. Right????:d

WA 2 FST
01-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Again, I think it just depends on the application/intended purpose and use.

A T67, T76 or T80 would be fine with a 331ci mod motor in a race-type application. Run a 3000-3500rpm stall with a transbrake and it _should_ be able to spool up a lot of boost on the starting line. :) That would alleviate any and all lag, and once you're off, the bigger turbo is going to push a ton of air.

The only issue might be if an opponent staged too quickly, and didn't allow you ample time to spool the turbos against the converter.

I'm of the opinion that you select the size of the compressor (blower or turbo) based upon your intended power level. There is no reason to run too large of a compressor if you're not going to take advantage of it. It takes more energy/time to spool or spin a larger compressor, so if you don't need the additional airflow potential, get a smaller one.

Tex Arcana
01-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Here's a nice big turbo to use...:d
http://www.techtribes.ch/images/articles/20041024022619914_1.jpg

This one is much nicer, if only because of the eye candy: :D
http://www.flightpaths.com.au/gfx/content_preview/jet_engine.gif

THANK YOU!!! I'm here all night!! :tu:

Avalanche
01-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the input Wes, I am planning on the 800-1000 HP mark when I get done. I know that sounds like a lot but is it really? considering that it is going to be a "Trailer Queen" and with the body mods and weight reduction I have in mind I should be able to run in the high 8's and low 9's. That is my goal.

Avalanche
01-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Here's a nice big turbo to use...:d
http://www.techtribes.ch/images/articles/20041024022619914_1.jpg

This one is much nicer, if only because of the eye candy: :D
http://www.flightpaths.com.au/gfx/content_preview/jet_engine.gif

THANK YOU!!! I'm here all night!! :tu:

Retard.
i believe those are called jet engines, yes they are air compressor and a form of turbos but damn what will I do mount them on the hood and hope for the best.:throw:

WA 2 FST
01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Brent,

Sounds like a fair goal to me, and you're right... with the weight reduction, it should run those numbers with the suspension dialed in. :)

Tex Arcana
01-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Retard.
i believe those are called jet engines, yes they are air compressor and a form of turbos but damn what will I do mount them on the hood and hope for the best.:throw:

Well, duh... LAUGH, dammit!! IT WAS A JOKE! :rolleyes:

Can you imagine the visual impact of something like that sticking up out of the hood?? That'd scare the hell out of just about anyone... :d

BC Lightning
01-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Parish on performancetrucks.net is running a single pt88 turbo kit on his Z71 Silverado, and he has a nice 150 shot on his 408ci to help with the turbo lag. His numbers:1011rwhp/1090rwtq at 22psi, 10.08@136 at 18psi. This was driving to the track with Nitto DRs at all corners. I believe he also has a 3500 stall, I'll have to do more searching.

Yes bigger is better in terms of how much power it will put out, but that usually will only be good on a dyno, by the time the turbo does spool up to the total amount of boost, say 20-22 psi you are already past the 1/4 marker.

Keep in mind his is a 408ci

:devil: , here is the deal...

i need to do more research but i am leaning toward twin 70's or 72's. i need to look at the garret line a lot harder. it is hard to get maps for their stuff online. it seems odd but going off the maps and airflow calculations it apears the twin 72's will be able to feed the motor better at really high boost than a pair of t76's. the 76's wont push as much presure as the 72's. i dont know if i will be geting into the high presure ratio area or not.

i am going to try and do it with the stock manifolds. i have no idea if there is a chance of it working or not that way.