PDA

View Full Version : Pulling trees and stuff with a diesel

L8 APEX
12-13-2005, 09:28 PM
I was pulling out small trees and old posts at the property. The nature of the turbo diesel is one of low grunt at idle. It was quite laboring to get it to pull these obects in 4 high range. It is like the engine make 50 hp around idle and the converter is very tight. You had to punch the pedal and spool some boost to get any pull and then it was hard to control and the tires would go up in smoke. I kept rolling back and fourth in neutral per the manual to hit 4 low range. I had to set the parking brake to get 4 low to engage. I was done pulling stuff by that time but 4 low would have netted much better control over the pulling process. Just a note to those with 4wd diesels they don't pull objects well in 4 high.

microsuck
12-14-2005, 09:43 AM
We were ripping dead trees out of the groud for firewood last month at my fraternity campout. I just put it in 4L and first gear. Let out the clutch and the truck would rip out the trees (some 3 feet in diameter) AT IDLE. It was nice. I like my diesel. Broke 2 tow straps that weekend also. Bummer. Good thing i had 3 :)

L8 APEX
12-14-2005, 09:54 AM
A manual is probably better for that kind of work. I wish I could have found 4 low sometimes those electornic systems suck. I believe Dodge only uses the bar in the floor no push button available. As for straps I threw down and bought a 4"x40' 40K lb from Pro Comp at 4 wheel parts it was 100 bucks but it should last forever. I also use good clevis' for the loops and don't tie knots in it or such to shorten its life.

tiffo60
12-14-2005, 09:59 AM
A manual is probably better for that kind of work. I wish I could have found 4 low sometimes those electornic systems suck. I believe Dodge only uses the bar in the floor no push button available. As for straps I threw down and bought a 4"x40' 40K lb from Pro Comp at 4 wheel parts it was 100 bucks but it should last forever. I also use good clevis' for the loops and don't tie knots in it or such to shorten its life.

i have a 3/4 ton dodge cummins, and its has a nob selector, they probally come both ways but i got stuck with the switch, but if you rolling about 1 or 2 in neutral and select 4L it goes right in

microsuck
12-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah, dodge has always been a manual transfer case. I've had one Ford 4x4 and two Dodge 4x4s. Electric is nice because you dont grind your transfer case. But i like the manual selector better because I KNOW its in 4x4. My ford refused to engage one time because the "auto" hubs wouldent engage. I was stuck, BIG TIME. And in the middle of a creek, to make matters worse. Dodge uses a vaccuum based CAD (central axle disconnect) instead of hubs. It gets worse gas mileage, but ALWAYS engages. And if for some reason it ever didnt engage, you just pop off the vacc line and suck on it till it does. Ghetto-tastic I know......

EDIT: And i broke my straps the dumb way. Dragging the trees down a dirt road and my buddies failing to tell me that the part of the strap that was looped around the tree trunk was scraping on the ground. DOH!!! Idiots. We were all drunk though. There were guys riding on the logs as we drove too. I should switch to chains.

microsuck
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
i have a 3/4 ton dodge cummins, and its has a nob selector, they probally come both ways but i got stuck with the switch, but if you rolling about 1 or 2 in neutral and select 4L it goes right in

OK, hadnt read that post yet. Your dodge is electric shift????? Wow, what year? Ive never seen that before. Im going to go see if i can look it up. Is it an auto tranny?

tiffo60
12-14-2005, 10:11 AM
OK, hadnt read that post yet. Your dodge is electric shift????? Wow, what year? Ive never seen that before. Im going to go see if i can look it up. Is it an auto tranny?

03 laramie, yes its auto

microsuck
12-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Wow, I just did a "build your truck" on their website, and is shows "electric shift on the fly" as the transfer case!! There isnt even an option for manual TC. Im really dissapointed in dodge now. But i wont dog it until ive tried it. Im sure its solid. Im just going off past experiences with my ford.

tiffo60
12-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Wow, I just did a "build your truck" on their website, and is shows "electric shift on the fly" as the transfer case!! There isnt even an option for manual TC. Im really dissapointed in dodge now. But i wont dog it until ive tried it. Im sure its solid. Im just going off past experiences with my ford.

we have had a few trips to colorado elk hunting in it, and where we go you usually have to chain up, and its 8 hours in the mud to get to our camping spot and its never failed so far and thats pulling 5 4wheelers too

SpeedyBolt
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
On my '00 F150 4X4, it has a manual TC but I can still shift on the fly up to 55mph. I looked all over for this truck. I wanted specific things like a 5.4 and a manual TC. I just never trusted those push button systems to get me into 4wheel drive.