PDA

View Full Version : Slow cranking

L8 APEX
12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I left the truck unplugged for grins. It barely started today at 18'. It gave a slow crank and fired but didn't make the diesel clatter for a minute of or so. It went woo woo woo, brump. You can tell the 15-40 is hard to start on cold. I would probably switch to 5-40 for my arctic expedition. The roads look great why are schools closed?

Lyfisin
12-08-2005, 11:27 AM
You can tell a real mechanic because they use words like "woo woo, brump".

:D

Nuhklz
12-08-2005, 01:52 PM
...why are schools closed?
The roads were very icy at 7 this morning when some of us had to get out and face the world.

You can tell a real mechanic because they use words like "woo woo, brump".

:D
:rll:

Moonshine
12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
The roads were very icy at 7 this morning when some of us had to get out and face the world.

They were??????? Seemed pretty clear to me. Some icy bridges and surface streets, but the highways were good. And it was nice not fighting all the school traffic and soccer moms.

Nuhklz
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
They were??????? Seemed pretty clear to me. Some icy bridges and surface streets, but the highways were good. And it was nice not fighting all the school traffic and soccer moms.

They were here in my part of the world.

Lyfisin
12-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I drove from Allen to Southlake. Allen was not so great getting to the 121. The 121 was pretty clear until right around the Grapevine Mall area. Southlake was (and still is) pretty bad. I know Allen and Grapevine were closed this morning.

Better safe than sorry.

SILVER2000SVT
12-08-2005, 03:00 PM
The roads were still very icey in North Arlington this morning at 10am. I decided to take the green oaks loop all the way around from mansfield rather than get on Hwy 360 to go to work. It was almost no traffic, just some slippery roads.

The fun part was that they closed green oaks rd. off at the big hill just east of collins street and you couldn't get past the barricade. So I took a right and headed south through a neighborhood and came out at Brown. I came out on Brown right in the middle half way up another very steep hill inbetween two barricades (one at the top of the hill and one at the bottom), and the road is a pure sheet of ice. I'm thinking this is just great how am I going to get to work. The funny thing is that there was somebody following me in a Sunbird like I knew where I was going.:rll:
I looked up at the barricade at the top of hill and saw there was enough room to squeeze a car through if I could make it up there. I figured what the hell I'll give it a shot. I'm in my 7 year old BMW with the traction control. Can I just say this thing is awesome. I could floor it up the hill and the car is just barely moving and cutting the power back each time it feels the wheels slip. It eased right up the steep hill with out struggling a bit. I can't say the same thing for the poor guy following me in the Sunbird. He started up and just started slipping and sliding and went off to the side bumped the curb and ended up sliding back down and had to turn around and go back.:rll:

L8 APEX
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM

:rll:
The roads were nice and sleet covered when I came home from work at 9:30 last night. All of it evaporated by 8am over here though. Only a few patches but nothing note worthy. I wish traffic was low like this everyday.

L8 APEX
12-09-2005, 11:41 PM
I have also been using the idle up when idling in the cold under 30 degrees or when warming up. I did some interesting reading in a 05 Cummins owners manual..