PDA

View Full Version : Easy question to answer...

rickgig
11-28-2005, 10:19 PM
I have to get to the computer and remove my chip... I had it installed when I bought the truck new and I need to remove it so I can offload the standard tune for emailing.

There used to be ton's of sites that had step by step instructions but I could find anything.

If I recall... it is located behind the battery.

Any words of wisdom will help.

tiffo60
11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
its behind the kick panel on the passenger side under the glove box, right infront of the door, its a triangler piece that just snaps out

my2002lightning
11-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Rick,

It's actually by the passenger-side kick-panel by the glove-box.

This should explain more: http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/chip/chip.htm

Ronald

rickgig
11-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys... my son bought me a Diablo Predator. I've heard enough pro's and con's to know that I need to send the tune to someone who knows what they are doing.

Hopefully in a couple of days I'll have the new tune installed.

Ronald... you broke your leg? I've been busy and hjaven't been on the boards so I must have missed a pretty good story.

Silver_2000
11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys... my son bought me a Diablo Predator. I've heard enough pro's and con's to know that I need to send the tune to someone who knows what they are doing.

Ronald... you broke your leg? I've been busy and hjaven't been on the boards so I must have missed a pretty good story.

Sell the predator on NLOC and get a decent tune from Terry

I wish I had a buck for every predator nightmare story I have heard

Doug

my2002lightning
11-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Rick,

I'm no L-tuner, but you might want to keep you stock chip in place until you get a safe tune. We're going to hit 36F tonight.:eek2:

I had a scare last Tue. when 1/2 my right-arm went numb after a range-session - it still persists.:(

How's Cali.?:cool:

Ronald

rickgig
11-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Rick,

I'm no L-tuner, but you might want to keep you stock chip in place until you get a safe tune. We're going to hit 36F tonight.:eek2:

I had a scare last Tue. when 1/2 my right-arm went numb after a range-session - it still persists.:(

How's Cali.?:cool:

Ronald

I assume you are talking about a shooting range? If so, I've been needing to go for some time now but haven't.

I hope the arm isn't a sign of anything serious.

I lost California and gained Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Kansas and Missouri. Which means I lost a lot. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

SO... maybe I can return the tuner and get the SCT! Don't know but Diablo came out with a newer version of the software and I've been hearing pretty good reports on it. But having Terry in our backyard is too good to ignore.

WA 2 FST
11-29-2005, 09:31 AM
SO... maybe I can return the tuner and get the SCT! Don't know but Diablo came out with a newer version of the software and I've been hearing pretty good reports on it. But having Terry in our backyard is too good to ignore.

Excellent logic here. :) :tu:

rickgig
11-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Confirmation to my logic... I'll start pursuing a swap with the vendor.

Thanks Wes

SILVER2000SVT
11-29-2005, 10:05 AM
I wish I had a buck for every predator nightmare story I have heard

Doug

I happened to get my predator really cheap with some other parts and had tuning already paid for, otherwise I would have bought an SCT tuner.

I've heard lots of horror stories about the old diablo chips popping motors with too hot a tune several years ago, but have only heard of 1 or 2 stories about the predator and those involved people running a 6lbs or an 8lbs pulley on a out of the box tune that was only meant for a 4lbs pulley max. The predator can do everything the SCT can do plus datalog without a connection to a laptop. Just get a custom tune like you would with the SCT and you'll be good.

With that said I'm considering changing to the SCT just to have somebody local to do my tuning. The email custom tunes are fine if you give the tuner feed back with dyno information, but sometimes those long distant tuners are just too busy and you end up having to wait 8 weeks or more just to get an updated tune. So if you have a choice I would get the SCT, mainly for access to a good local tuner.

rickgig
11-29-2005, 10:37 AM
SILVER2000SVT

I really appreciate the input. I have modest mods to the truck and will go from a 2# to 4# some time in the future but that is about it. I kicked it the opther day and heard it ping and got out of it. I've had the Predator for months and just haven't done anything yet.

I'll see if I can exchange it first and if not, I'll get a conservative tune for the mod's I have.

tiffo60
11-29-2005, 10:59 AM
i have the predator and since the revision there nothing wrong with them, o love mine and get some good times out of it, no detonation whatsoever

Silver_2000
11-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I happened to get my predator really cheap with some other parts and had tuning already paid for, otherwise I would have bought an SCT tuner.

I've heard lots of horror stories about the old diablo chips popping motors with too hot a tune several years ago, but have only heard of 1 or 2 stories about the predator and those involved people running a 6lbs or an 8lbs pulley on a out of the box tune that was only meant for a 4lbs pulley max. The predator can do everything the SCT can do plus datalog without a connection to a laptop. Just get a custom tune like you would with the SCT and you'll be good.

YES - The custome tune is critical - in 10 minutes of searching I bet I could find 10 blown motors from out of the box predator pulley tunes...

Doug

tiffo60
11-29-2005, 12:05 PM
YES - The custome tune is critical - in 10 minutes of searching I bet I could find 10 blown motors from out of the box predator pulley tunes...

Doug

but that was on the old version that just came out with a new one a few months ago thats 8r9, i believe the first one was the 7r9, with the new revision more than a few people have dyno tested them with 11.5 to 11.8 a/f

tiffo60
11-29-2005, 12:06 PM
but thats with 14 pounds max boost, so if you are more than 14 then yes get a custom tune

rickgig
11-29-2005, 12:12 PM
but that was on the old version that just came out with a new one a few months ago thats 8r9, i believe the first one was the 7r9, with the new revision more than a few people have dyno tested them with 11.5 to 11.8 a/f

8r9 is the release that is on my Predator and I am running nothing near 14# of boost.

Silver_2000
11-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Sounds like you have done good research - thats key to long engine life when making modifications

Im so lazy that I just reused the same mods from my old truck on my new one. The one diffeence is I went from a dyno tuned JDM chip to a Terry @ Performance research tuned SCT Flasher. I like the flasher better ...

tiffo60
11-29-2005, 12:17 PM
8r9 is the release that is on my Predator and I am running nothing near 14# of boost.

you should be fine, im running a 4# lower, and seeing 15#'s when its 40 or below, and 14 between 50 and 70, 13.5 about 70 or 75 and above, and all is well