PDA

View Full Version : Check your balls often

L8 APEX
11-25-2005, 07:56 PM
I noticed my 2&5/16" ball on my WD hitch was about a 1/4 turn loose today. It had about 4000 heavy miles on it. Even with the lock washer it was able to back off a little over time. I use a 3' pipe wrench to tighten it back up to spec which is over 250ft lbs. I also keep an eye on the hitch platform bolts as well.

PoorSvtman
11-25-2005, 08:02 PM
They make hitch balls that have a cotter pin that goes in the shank of the ball so if the nut comes loose it wont come competly out. Maybe just drill a hole and get a huge cotter pin instead of buying one.

I can probly still get them from my work if you want one.

Logan
11-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I check my balls nightly. For fear that the wife stole em...

...Nope...still there. Phew, there's another day...

L8 APEX
11-25-2005, 10:00 PM
I wasn't sure how hard the shank was for drilling. I rarely see the castle nut, cotter pin balls. I think lubing the ball may help it from loosening up. Maybe the coupling is gripping it and turning it? One of my customers that towed his L to Houston FFW had three threads left on his ball nut. It was laid back at a 45' angle and would have definately fallen off shortly.

Moonshine
11-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Think I'd rather check my nuts occasionally before I risked weakening the shank by drilling a hole in it.

L8 APEX
11-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Think I'd rather check my nuts occasionally before I risked weakening the shank by drilling a hole in it.
Anything under the but is not under tension my thinking it beez.

PoorSvtman
11-26-2005, 02:45 AM
Terry i do recomend putting a dab of grease on the ball. Things just tend to go smoother. I towed some HUGE trailers to the dallas show before and always put a dab of grease on the ball.

If you want one with a cotter pin let me know ill make a call and see what i can find for you, should be able to get it a tad cheaper than normal.. I dont think having a hole in the shank will weakend it. Its below the ball almost to the end. Just keeps the ball from comming off.

dboat
11-27-2005, 04:14 AM
I check my balls nightly. For fear that the wife stole em...

...Nope...still there. Phew, there's another day...

yep, me too... still got em..

I hear that :ron: are soon to be on ebay for sale though.. :evil

03LightningRocks
11-28-2005, 01:51 AM
yep, me too... still got em..

I hear that :ron: are soon to be on ebay for sale though.. :evil

That would be Elaines decision. They don't belong to him anymore....;) .

my2002lightning
11-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Nope! I won't EVER give that up.:cool: They aren't in the garage freezer next to last-years' venison back-straps.:evil

I love Sweetie and Baby.:)

Ronald

That would be Elaines decision. They don't belong to him anymore....;) .