PDA

View Full Version : Paging Sixpipes/Flatsman...

02BOLT
11-24-2005, 04:10 PM
I was just wondering how things were progressing with the 408? Hope you guys are having a good Turkey Day.

L8 APEX
11-24-2005, 07:38 PM
We completed the N/A install a few months back. It is back at the shop for a new main girdle friendly Canton racing oil pan setup with remote dipstick. It will be headed to Florida in Jan to be dismantled and tubro'd. Fred is picking up the turbo kit in Houston in the AM.
BTW I forgot to leave the T bars but I will be by the shop if you want to get them on the way down or something:tu:

Sixpipes
11-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Like Terry said, still a few issues to resolve, but the thing is pretty impressive in N/A form. It doesn't have any problem spinning those huge drag radials that Rob use to have. Still some break in time require before an increase in engine rpm is warranted. I don't think it will get dynoed until it arrives back in Florida in January. Where is the dyno of choice in DFW now? :cool:

L-Fever
11-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Where is the dyno of choice in DFW now? :cool:

I took Wes's advice and have used these guys a couple of times at RPM in Lewisville.

http://www.real-performance-motorsports.com/

Above ground dyno, with race fuel on site if needed and it is close to where I live. Talk to Keith or Brian. $50 bucks for 3 pulls. I have used Mike's in Hurst, but it's farther away from my house.

02BOLT
11-24-2005, 11:38 PM
In reference to the dynos, I've always heard good things about RPM. I was impressed with Mike's in Hurst. Very courteous and professional, and knew how to dyno Lightnings correctly.

The guys at Simplequick Racing, which is where they've been working on my computer tuning, have a nice in ground dyno with A/F as well. They too know how to correctly dyno an L. Daniel (the owner), said he'd do 3 pulls with A/F for $50 bucks. Just tell him I sent you. They're in Benbrook.

Keep me posted on how the 408 is doing and how she dynoes in N/A form. I bet with the lower compression that she'll throw down around 340-350 RWHP and 380-400 RWTQ, maybe more. My 10:1 351 is right at 310 RWHP and 360 RWTQ, just to give you an idea. What intake are ya'll running on that bad boy? I bet it'd probably run 12's In N/A form with the tuning sorted out.:cool:

L8 APEX
11-25-2005, 12:14 AM
It has some kind of bread box intake. Like I said it is only going to see about 24 hours of driving in thei config before it is modified;) .

Sixpipes
11-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Keep me posted on how the 408 is doing and how she dynoes in N/A form. I bet with the lower compression that she'll throw down around 340-350 RWHP and 380-400 RWTQ, maybe more. My 10:1 351 is right at 310 RWHP and 360 RWTQ, just to give you an idea. What intake are ya'll running on that bad boy? I bet it'd probably run 12's In N/A form with the tuning sorted out.:cool:

Fred and I were talking yesterday and we're guessing around 350 rwhp just by the way it drives, but we haven't really wound out the motor and don't really know what the cam is going to do at higher rpm. There is a Downs box on it right now and like Terry says, it's only a temporary set up. I think Fred would like to get a good dyno pull with A/F before he drives it back to Florida in January.

This is a picture of the intake while it was still in the shop.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN6217.JPG

Flats Man
11-25-2005, 10:59 PM
I just got back from Houston this evening. I picked up a complete 68mm turbo set up for the Gen 1. The new oil pan should be on by this next week and I will have Trevor put some miles on it in December. I will be flying out on the 9th of Jan and will drive the Gen 1 back to Florida, but before I go, I will try to get a Dyno number for you. The box is supposed to be for blown or turbo motors and I am pretty sure that it will cost me some torque in N/A trim. So, when I dyno here, it will be with Mass Air, 30 lb injectors, GT 40 lower and box upper. The cam is an Anderson Motorsport B-41 and the heads are TFS high port stage 111's.
When I get back to Florida, I am pulling the box off and the GT 40 lower and installing a Wilson Elbow upper with a Wilson Spider Lower. By the looks of my fuel pressure right now, I may go to a little larger injector. I will do one more dyno run in the new configuration just to see if there are differences. After that, I will change the cam to a good turbo cam and start installing and mocking up the new turbo kit. With the turbo, I will be running 60 lb injectors, The SCT 90 mm Big Mouth Meter, and a 90 mm TB. The intercooler is a real nice Spearco.
I talked to Mr Hoog and the Spider Intake might not be that good at lower RPM but I have already bought it so I will give it a try.
That is the latest on the project! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

02BOLT
11-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Cool Fred!:tu: Sounds like you're gonna have one nasty little muther scratcher on your hands. Keep me posted on the progress......:burnout:

Ivanhoe_Farms
11-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Cool Fred!:tu: Sounds like you're gonna have one nasty little muther scratcher on your hands. Keep me posted on the progress......:burnout:

What amazes me is that you do not normally see someone trying to limit the amount of horsepower they are making :rolleyes:

Flats Man
11-27-2005, 09:04 AM
What amazes me is that you do not normally see someone trying to limit the amount of horsepower they are making :rolleyes:

Oh, I plan to get all the HP and Torque that is available with out going to the Ragged edge! It should be a nasty little street truck that I can race a few times a year. Rob, I forgot to mention that I am running a lot less compression. I haven't check it yet but when I built the motor and put the 70cc chamber heads on it, the compression came out to around 9:1. That should help my 60 foot with the turbo. I am going to tune everything with the FAST system so I have a lot of things that I can do to the tune in the 1/4 and 1/8th mile!
I plan to sump the rear tank and go with a braided fuel system to support everything. The turbo stuff is at Tobbuns house and I will get some pictures of the stuff as it is installed this winter.

02BOLT
11-27-2005, 09:30 AM
10-4 Fred. I knew you'd built that motor with a blower in mind, so I figured it had lower compression to help facilitate the extra cylinder pressure. I'm interested to see how she does in both the N/A and forced induction forms. Good luck with it.....